Travel Info, Things to Do
All our Franklin River Rafting ™ tours depart from Hobart. We pick up from most areas close to Hobart, and anywhere en route to the river (see individual tour itineraries for details). Cars can be parked and luggage stored at our Hobart base.
Getting there, Transport
Qantas Airlines Australia’s international and domestic airline. Flies into Hobart, Launceston, Devonport and Burnie.
Jetstar Airlines Qantas’ discount domestic airline. Flies into Hobart and Launceston.
Virgin Australia Airline Discount airline owned by Virgin Australia. Flies into Hobart and Launceston.
Spirit of Tasmania Passenger ferry (phone 132010) sails at least once daily between Melbourne and Devonport.
Hobart Airport Bus $20 p.p. or approximately $45 by taxi for up to four people to the CBD.
Tasmanian Redline Coaches Statewide bus system – meets the Spirit of Tasmania and departs from all city centres.
Hobart docks with kunanyi (Mt Wellington) and TMAG – by Water by Nature Tasmania – Franklin River Rafting
- >> Astor Private Hotel 157 Macquarie St. Hobart TAS 7000 // Telephone +61 6234 6611 // Luxury ensuite accommodation, also budget B&B rooms with shared facilities.
- >> The Nook Backpackers 251 Liverpool St. Hobart TAS 7000 // Telephone +61 (03) 6135 4044 // Budget accommodation.
>> Travellodge Hotel Hobart 167 Macquarie St. Hobart TAS 7000 // Telephone +61 36220 7100 // Ensuite and television, room only.
- >> Somerset on the Pier Elizabeth St Pier Hobart TAS 7000 // 1800 620 462 // 4 1/2 star apartment hotel overlooking the water.
Quick Beds Hotels at knockdown prices.
Hotel Club Worldwide online hotel reservation service.
Wotif Online booking facilities for last-minute hotels and holiday packages.
trivago The world’s top hotel price comparison site.
Books / Maps
‘The ever varying flood’ by Baxter / Griffith
‘Shooting the Franklin’ by Dean
‘Death of a river guide’ and ‘A Terrible Beauty’ by Richard Flanagan
‘Wild rivers’ by Dombrovskis / Brown
‘Upriver’ by Alice Hungerford
‘Alpine Plants Identikit’ and ‘Rainforest Plants Identikit’ by Parks and Wildlife Service Tasmania
‘South West Tasmania’ by Ken Collins
TASMAP Franklin 1: 100,000
TASMAP Olga 1: 100,000
TASMAP Frenchman’s Cap 1: 50,000
Hobart / Outdoor Shops
Most are located in Elizabeth Street, north of The Mall
Dunlop Volleys (cheap but invaluable river ‘crampons’) from ‘Allgoods‘, ‘Target’, ‘BigW’ or ‘Kmart’
Climate – During the summer months (December to March) the daily maximum temperature normally ranges between 17°C and 30°C. Climate chart for Hobart – 10 metres above sea level
|Month||Max-min daily temp.||Month||Max-min daily temp.|
|January||23 – 11||July||11 – 5|
|February||23 – 11||August||12 – 4|
|March||21 – 9||September||14 – 5|
|April||17 – 8||October||17 – 7|
|May||13 – 6||November||18 – 8|
|June||11 – 6||December||21 – 10|
For more detailed and current weather information check the Bureau of Meteorology page.
Hobart / Things to do
- >> Salmanca Market 8am – 3pm every Saturday
- >> Walk around Battery Point continuing south from Salamanca Place
- >> MONA Museum of Old and New Art, catch ferry, bus (Mona Roma) or bike at the waterfront
- >> TMAG Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
- >> Botanical Gardens Ph. +61 36234 6299
- >> Hobart Aquatic Centre
- >> Cascade Brewery Tour bookings on Ph. +61 36221 8300
- >> Drive to the summit of kunanyi (Mt. Wellington)
- >> Climb the Shot Tower (Taroona) Ph. +61 36227 8885
Hobart / Food and drinks
Steak – Ball and Chain Grill: Salamanca Place, +61 3 6223 2655
Tapas – Frank, Marine Board Building, adjacent to Elizabeth Pier, Hobart waterfront, +61 3 6231 5005
Seafood – The Drunken Admiral: Constitution Dock Ph. +61 36234 1903
Upmarket fish and chips – Fish Frenzy, Elizabeth Pier, Hobart waterfront, +61 3 6231 2134
Coffee – Retro Café: Salamanca Place
Restaurant strip – Elizabeth St., North Hobart 20 minutes walk north from the Mall
Things to do in Tasmania
– RoamWild Tasmania is based in the Paragon Theater – a 1933 art deco cinema restaurant in Queenstown. Anthony loves to share his wealth of local knowledge on his splendid half or full day adventure tours in and around his home town. Just south of Strahan and Queenstown is vast wilderness. Get beyond ordinary and explore one of the world’s last truly wild places of most ancient rainforests rich with Huon and King Billy pine.
>> Tasmanian Wilderness Experiences – TWE offer fully guided bush-walking tours, a transport shuttle service from Hobart to all National Parks, comfortable accommodation, equipment hire and food for the track.
>> Discover Tasmania Discover Tasmania is Tasmania’s official Tour Directory & Vacation Guide website, EVENTS galore!
>> Tasmanian Travel and Information Centre Hobart are experts in all things Tasmanian. They take great pride in helping you design the perfect Tasmanian holiday.
>> Adventure Tasmania Adventure Tasmania, find things to do, tour guides and where to stay in Tasmania.
Whether you choose Bruny Island Cruises, Tasman Island Cruises, Bruny Island Traveller, Iron Pot Cruises or Tasmanian Seafood Seduction you won’t be disappointed! Pennicott Wilderness Journeys has something for everyone…
>> Freycinet Adventures Award winning guided sea kayak tours into the heart of stunning Freycinet National Park. The tours are family friendly and suitable for beginners.
>> Cradle Mountain Canyons Climb, Jump, Abseil and Swim through Cradle Mountain’s Ancient Canyons.
>> Roaring 40°s Kayaking offers premium sea kayaking eco-tours into the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area that range from three to seven days as well as day tours in some of the most beautiful waterways surrounding Hobart. They also offer instructional lessons for the beginner paddler and kayak rentals.
Things to do in Australia
>> Region X Award winning sustainable, environmentally responsible, healthy lifestyle, nature based guided kayak tours and hire throughout the Batemans Marine Park. Batemans Bay – Mossy Point – Broulee – Moruya – in the Unspoilt Eurobodalla Shire – South Coast NSW Australia.
>> Coral Sea Kayaking an outdoor adventure company based in beautiful Mission Beach, Tropical North Queensland, Australia.